After a little inspiration from Karl Fox I decided to bite the bullet and make my own soft plastics. Karl pointed me in the direction of a UK supplier and I was off. Lure Factors were very helpful and very willing to offer advise. My initial order consisted of 1 litre of plastic 9 colours and 6 glitters. Karl gave me some basic instructions of how to use the plastic. All that was left was to sort some moulds. I manged to source some reasonably price moulds from the US, postage was high but still cheaper than any I found in the UK.
I was very impressed with the quality of the products I received from Lure Factors the products are all supplied in easy to use bottles and tubs and the glitters looked great. The moulds arrived from Lure Craft and looked just the job. Now all I need to do is decide which colour to make first.
I have had a lot of success on watermelon and green lures so this seemed the obvious choice. I went for watermelon with gold and red glitter. I measured out 100ml of plastic and added 6 drops of colour. I then microwaved this for 30 seconds and stirred and repeated this process until the plastic was clear and runny. At this stage I then added the glitter and mixed again before heating further. I then poured the plastic into the mould which I had coated with lure lube. I left these to cool for 5 mins before removing from the mould. Please make sure you wear a mask as this stuff does effect your throat and lungs.
Safety first guys :)
Here are the first few fresh from the mould.
I spent the next couple of evening making more colours ready for a good wrasse session. A small break in the wind occurred last weekend which allowed me and the family to get out for a short wrasse session. Not a productive session resulting in two wrasse lost and none landed. Still both fish lost where hooked on my home made lures. I then spent the next week hoping for a break in the wind. This summer has just been completely blown out and made most marks unfishable with this weekend being no exception. How ever today the wind was a little lighter and Ben and I had some new ground to explore which we hoped would be sheltered enough to fish.
Armed and ready to go. We hit the mark at about 4pm with 3 hours before low water. I worked my way through the colours with red being the first to gain interest with a follow. An hour or so passed and no wrasse had been landed. Conditions were difficult with wind and swell. Ben switched to some plugs and hoped for a bass. He had follows from pollock and gar but only landed pollock. All of a sudden from under my feet every thing went tight and I was in. I couldn’t have been happier having landed my first wrasse on a home made lure.
All went quiet so we switched to a new mark not far from us and it looked sweet.
First cast and I was in but not for long, it spat the hook and I was left cursing. It wasn’t long before Ben was in with a nice 3lb 4oz wrasse. I had a further two fish and Ben had another, we both lost a few fish and all in all considering the conditions a good day and I’m over the moon my lures work and work in tough conditions. Just hoping for some better conditions to really put them to the test. Fingers crossed the weather will be better for 1st September and alot of fish will be caught during the competition in Plymouth at The Art of Fishing.
All content copyright of Dean Pilgrim 2014